Saturday 30 March 2013

Friends With Diabetes.

Circle D.
I've had three days of catching up with the diabetics in my life and I have loved it! On Tuesday, I visited my friend, Sam, and his family, which was nice and chilled. We swapped stories and I got to catch up with his lovely fiancée and two children as well. It was bliss. Then, randomly, I realised that Circle D Queen Shelley had a Rant Room organised for Wednesday, so obviously I went to that! It was so much fun! It was actually bring a friend night, so my Yang came with me. It was very last minute, but I'm so glad I went. It was just nice being able to see people again. Finally, on Thursday, I saw Lizzie

As soon as I knew I was coming back to England for Easter break, one of my priorities was seeing Lizzie. To be honest, I've been missing the company of other diabetics for a while now, but seeing as I talk to Lizzie pretty much everyday, she was clearly going to be the one I got in touch with first! I went to Reading for the day, and we ate Nandos (favourite restaurant), drank Starbucks (favourite coffee shop) and shopped (like we were going to do anything else!) It was lovely! Although I talk to her everyday, I miss her when I'm away: talking via Whatsapp or Facebook just isn't the same as seeing her in person!

We spent the day catching up on each other's lives and talking diabetes, moaning, venting, laughing. It was exactly what I needed. What we needed, I think. Ask any other diabetic and I'm pretty certain they will tell you the same thing: when it comes to actually "talking diabetes", there's something different about talking to someone who "gets it". My friends at home and at uni are amazing when it comes to my diabetes, but talking with another diabetic is just different. It's hard to explain, but if you're reading this and have diabetes yourself, you'll know what I'm talking about. 

Something we also spoke about, albeit briefly, was SDUK, the group we started a year ago now. We need to take this group forward, and we want to. So once finals are over for Lizzie and things have calmed down a bit for her after graduation and stuff, we'll see what we can actually put into action over the summer. Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment