Friday 17 May 2013

Diabetes Blog Week: Day 5 - Freaky Friday.

Just like in the movie, today we're doing a swap. If you could switch chronic diseases, which one would you choose to deal with instead of diabetes? And while we're considering other chronic conditions, do you think your participation in the DOC has affected how you treat friends and aquaintances with other medical conditions?

It took me a while figure out what the point of the first part of today's prompt is. If I could switch chronic diseases, which one would I choose? I have to be honest and say I did have to do a Google search to find a list of other chronic illnesses.

Addison's Disease, Celiac Disease, Coronary Heart Disease, Fibromyalgia, Lupus, Multiple Sclerosis, Osteoarthritis, Parkinson's Disease to name but a few.

I mean, it's not like I want Diabetes, but I don't want any of the above either!

And that's when I realised what the point is. Well, what I think the point is, anyway. Perspective

So, no, I wouldn't switch chronic diseases. I know diabetes; I know how to live with it, and I know how to try and control it. I've learnt what causes the highs and the lows. I know what foods are on my no-go list and which foods are on my safe list. Don't get we wrong, living with diabetes isn't easy...in fact there are times when it really sucks...but it could be worse.

As for the second part of today's prompt: do I think my participation in the DOC has affected how I treat friends and aquaintances with other medical conditions? I don't think it's changed the way I treat people, but instead added a level of understanding. Before diabetes, I sympathised with others, but I never really "got it". Now, I empathise with others; I know what it's like to live with a chronic disease.

1 comment:

  1. So, so right - there are plenty of worse conditions to have than diabetes. I love the last bit of your post too about the difference between sympathising and empathising. Great stuff, lovely! :) xxxxx

    ReplyDelete