Wednesday 27 February 2013

Baby Steps.

My gorgeous godson and I.
In the past, when it comes to my diabetes care, I have always wanted to run before I'd learnt to walk. After I was diagnosed, I wanted to learn everything I possibly could to be able to lead a "normal" life. I remember wanting to learn how to carb count really early on, and being told not yet. This didn't sit well with me, so I went away and taught myself! I wanted to learn it all! I did a lot of reading on diabetes. I'm one of those people that likes to know what they're up against.

Over the last three years, I have learnt that learning everything at once and striving for "perfection" is not the way to do it. You need to take things slow, one thing at a time: baby steps. This is a new concept for me: I don't do baby steps. I tell everyone else to take baby steps, but I don't. I know what I want to achieve with regard to my diabetes care and eating habits, and I want to achieve it now. But I know that this mindset is only going to leave me back where I started. So, it's time to walk my talk. I need to get all the fundamentals in place to help get to my final goal, and the only way to do this is with baby steps. 

I'm bolusing again properly, although my carb counting skills are rusty. I'm eating breakfast everyday, which is good as it sets me up for the rest of the day. My averages are slowly coming down, which I am very happy about! It's my eating habits throughout the rest of the day that need to be worked on. I snack a lot, and that needs to stop. And I need to cook proper dinners, not just pasta and a sauce. I also want to find another outlet that's not comfort eating after a bad day. A lot of targets, I know, but this is where the concept of 'baby steps' comes in. I've got to take it one day at a time, and not beat myself up after "bad" days. I know it's not going to be easy, but I am determined and motivated, and that, along with the wise words of a good friend of mine, will keep me going.

No comments:

Post a Comment