Wednesday 20 February 2013

Beat The Hypo?!

Yum!
Now, if we are all honest with ourselves, I'm sure at one stage or another in our diabetic lives we have found ourselves playing a little game of what I'm now calling "Beat the Hypo". Well, I'd like to think I'm not the only person in the world to have decided to play this game, anyway! Here are the results of when I played yesterday on my way back from teaching:

Hypo 1, Vicki 0.

I made it 3/4 of the way home, and then hypo-ed good and proper! It was horrific! I was in the middle of my local supermarket and I managed to find fruit juice cartons. I was fumbling around for what felt like hours trying to get a carton out of the packet, and started drinking extremley quickly, as well as trying to check my blood to establish just how low I was (2.8mmol/l). At this point, security was approaching me, and in my hypo state, had to try to remember as much vocab as I could in order to explain that I had diabetes and was hypo. 

Turns out I didn't need to, as when he saw me holding my blood testing kit, and then the juice cartons he knew exactly what was happening and actually stayed with me to make sure I didn't keel over! He told me that his Mum had type 2, so knew what a hypo was and that I was having one when he walked over. It's not often you bump into someone that knows exactly what's going on!

No comments:

Post a Comment