Thursday 7 March 2013

The Little Victories.

Parque De Buen Retiro, Madrid.
I've recently got my diabetes care back on track: I finally did a basal test, I got myself back on injections and started sugar testing and record keeping once more. I'm currently working on honing in on my carb counting skills, but in general, I'm back on track with my diabetes care. I've learnt that I can't just put it on the backburner like I did. 

A month ago, I was very, very lost. It was like I'd forgotten everything about my diabetes care. I just didn't know how to get myself back on track. I think it was worse than the first time I omitted insulin: at least when it happened the first time, I was in England, I had my healthcare team there to help me when I needed them, I had my best friend, my amazing housemates, other friends with diabetes that had been through a similar thing, basically this incredible network of people to help me work through my issues. This time, however, I was alone. Well, not alone, but didn't have any support in person, because I'm currently on my year abroad. That made things more difficult, as you can imagine. 

But a visit from my best friend (who is also on her year abroad) gave me that kick up the arse that I needed to sort things out. The first thing I did was re-educate myself diabetes-wise. I'm talking like really going back to basics. I read Think Like A Pancreas and it really helped with getting back on track. Since reading this book, I've been on a real "learning-kick". I've always been one of those people that needs to know "what they're up against" when it comes to...well...anything. Knowledge is power. I was looking on the Amazon Kindle Store the other day, for more diabetes-related reading, and came across a book called The Smart Woman's Guide To Diabetes. A gender-specific book about diabetes. Clearly, I had to download and read this!

It wasn't as good as Think Like A Pancreas, in my opinion, but nonetheless a good read. I loved that it contained lots of anecdotes from females with diabetes and how they faced certain challenges, but it wasn't as informative as other literature on diabetes that I have read. But, like I said, I've been on a real "learning-kick" so still took some things from it.

All in all, things have been really good over the last month or so. Now, I know a month isn't a long time when you have a long-standing health condition like type 1 diabetes, but it's all about the little victories leading up to the bigger picture. This month has definitely been a little victory, and it is one that I am going to acknowledge and be proud of. 

(N.B - the aforementioned opinions on the two books are just that: my opinions.)

No comments:

Post a Comment