Monday 8 July 2013

Two Type Ones.

Image taken from Google Images.
I've just arrived back in Kent after spending the last week in Norwich staying with a friend up there. For the first time ever, I lived with another type one diabetic. Now, this may seem like a silly thing to get excited about, but hear me out.

Living with someone else who has to deal with type one diabetes meant that all those things that I do that seem "odd" were no longer "odd".

  • Checking my blood sugar. To those close to me, they don't think twice about it, but to others there's still that "what's she doing...oh yeah!".
  • The mess in the kitchen after a middle-of-the-night hypo - it's just evidence that there was one, but no moaning about how the kitchen's a state. 
  • The trail of test strips that seem to follow me wherever I go were just there - there was no moaning about the mess they made. 
  • Counting carbs was almost a competitive sport - who can guess correctly/the closest to the actual carb value.
  • Vocab such as "shoot up", "bloods" and "rage bolus" were the norm and there was no questioning of what such terms meant. 

All in all, I had a great week in Norwich. I'd really missed the city, so it was so nice to go back before September! I'm looking forward to returning on a more long-term basis come September. 

No comments:

Post a Comment