Friday 4 October 2013

Five For Friday: There's An App For That!

Apps! Until a few months back, I didn't really know where to start when it came to apps. There's, quite literally, an app for everything: health, education, restaurants, coffee shops, social media. It's crazy, and somewhat overwhelming! Here's a list of my top five apps at the moment.

1. mySugr. I've already written a blog post on this app. I love it. There's something about that little green monster mocking me that really motivates me to log my blood sugars, carbohydrates, doses and activity levels. An app that motivates me enough to do all that has got to be good'un, surely?! 

2. Sleep Cycle. I wake up so much happier with the Sleep Cycle alarm as I'm not being jolted out of sleep. Instead, with Sleep Cycle, the alarm wakes you up within 30 minutes of the set alarm. It somehow knows when I'm in a light stage of sleep and the alarm will then go off to wake me up. It can also track what stage of sleep you're in, and it seems to be pretty accurate. For instance, when I wake up to do a 3am sugar check, the graph presenting that night's sleep has me at the "awake" stage at 3am. 

3. Carbs & Cals. Carbohydrate counting is not my forté. I read labels, or I can weigh my food so I know exactly how much I'm eating. But I can't guess confidently. It's something I need to practice, I'm just not really sure how to. This is where Carbs & Cals comes in. You search for a food, you match the portion size on your plate to the portion size in the picture and, voila, it gives you a rough estimate of the carb content. Brilliant!

4. WhatsApp. This app allows me to text my friends abroad free of charge. I can text my friends here in the UK too, but for texting abroad, it's awesome! It works over the 3G or wifi network, which is what makes it free to send messages/pictures/videos.

5. Minion Rush. I just love this game. That's all there is to it.    

1 comment: