Thursday 2 October 2014

Resonates.

I read a lot of diabetes blogs. I don't often comment, unless I feel I have something to say, but I read. I usually find myself nodding along thinking "Yeah! Me too! I get it!". Other times, I'm learning of new advocacy efforts, or reading a commentary on an article/research piece/other subject. And sometimes, just sometimes, I'm hit with a post that goes that little bit further. It resonates. It sticks with me for days. It becomes bookmarked in my browser so that I can go back to it. I want to comment, but I can't string a sentence together. Well, one that makes any sense, anyway! Because, more often than not, those posts - those ones that resonate - I'm reading them and thinking this is (or was) me.

When such blog posts come along, I sit in front of my computer screen, brain working fast to put words together to leave a comment, fingers itching to tap letters on the keyboard. But nothing happens. My brain doesn't formulate any words and my fingers don't eagerly tap away. I just sit there, often wishing I could jump through my laptop screen to give the writer a big hug. Because when words fail me, that's what I do.

Image credit to Dallas Clayton.
It saddens me when I read these types of post, knowing that there are others who are (were) struggling in the same way I am (or was), but at the same time, as a reader, it also brings great comfort and reassurance that I'm not alone. It's the reason I am SO grateful for each and every person who has made the decision to write about their diabetes-life online, no matter the perspective (type one, type two, type 1.5 or parent) or how difficult the subject.

Finally, to the writer of the blog post that's stuck with me recently (resulting in this pretty pointless blog post): a BIG HUG and a whole load of thanks for sharing.

 

1 comment:

  1. Oh Vicki! What a powerful post, and thank you so much for your kind words.
    I was actually inspired to write it by other members of the DOC who have emailed me to say they're struggling, asking how I keep my outlook so positive. I wanted it to be an overall positive piece because I am very much (mostly) out the other side (but also I was not struggling to the point that I know a lot of others have/are), and also because I think we go through so much with this thing that people just don't talk about, so I'm pleased it's sparked even a few conversations and encouraged people to open up.
    Thank you for writing this! Means a lot. And HIGH FIVE on using Dallas Clayton, I adore him! xxx

    ReplyDelete